This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GDB project.
Re: RFC: Import zlib from GCC tree
- From: "H.J. Lu" <hjl dot tools at gmail dot com>
- To: Joel Brobecker <brobecker at adacore dot com>, Alan Modra <amodra at gmail dot com>
- Cc: GDB <gdb-patches at sourceware dot org>, Tristan Gingold <gingold at adacore dot com>, Nick Clifton <nickc at redhat dot com>, Paul Koning <Paul_Koning at dell dot com>, "Joseph S. Myers" <joseph at codesourcery dot com>, Thomas Schwinge <thomas at codesourcery dot com>, Binutils <binutils at sourceware dot org>
- Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2015 05:33:40 -0700
- Subject: Re: RFC: Import zlib from GCC tree
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <CAMe9rOp+5L0na923z1_jJQJuci=npuCQM6ktx7XG=gSOc1nZ+g at mail dot gmail dot com> <20150314193105 dot GB5954 at adacore dot com> <CAMe9rOpGWwu57cKZW4M8QTYdicnDsDC5-G-t7sX4fQd3YhKP7A at mail dot gmail dot com> <20150316232444 dot GB3435 at adacore dot com> <CAMe9rOqQPEkvdTr8jjcy+yNaXTkTiRvceiRY_wnazRJe=rY8nQ at mail dot gmail dot com> <20150319112336 dot GA4884 at adacore dot com>
On Thu, Mar 19, 2015 at 4:23 AM, Joel Brobecker <firstname.lastname@example.org> wrote:
>> >> I created users/hjl/zlib branch. It imported zlib into binutils-gdb tree
>> >> and replaced --with-zlib with --with-system-zlib. Any feedbacks?
>> > I'm not sure. Wouldn't some people want to configure --without-zlib?
>> GCC doesn't support --without-zlib nor should binutils.
>> zlib is needed to implement SHF_COMPRESSED.
> Generally speaking, I really don't know what to think of that.
> Some people might decide that this is a feature they do not want,
> in which case having support for it is just extra bloat. But,
> on the other hand, zlib is probably sufficiently small that
> it would not matter much. Speaking for myself, at least, I can
> live with that. Just not sure about others.
> Given the lack of feedback so far, I am thinking no one is strenuously
> objecting. I propose we give people another week to express their
> opinion, after which we can move forward. You'll need the approval
> of the binutils maintainers as well, I suspect.
I will import zlib from GCC on March 26 if there is no objection.