This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GDB project.
Re: [PATCH] Support gzip compressed exec and core files in gdb
- From: Jan Kratochvil <jan dot kratochvil at redhat dot com>
- To: Michael Eager <eager at eagerm dot com>
- Cc: "gdb-patches at sourceware dot org" <gdb-patches at sourceware dot org>, binutils <binutils at sourceware dot org>
- Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2015 23:13:29 +0100
- Subject: Re: [PATCH] Support gzip compressed exec and core files in gdb
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <54FF77D6 dot 7010400 at eagerm dot com>
On Wed, 11 Mar 2015 00:01:42 +0100, Michael Eager wrote:
> Add support to automatically unzip compressed executable and core files.
> Files will be uncompressed into temporary directory (/tmp or $TMPDIR)
> and are deleted when GDB exits.
Such feature has been requested to support xz-compressed core files as
currently being stored by systemd. But to make it more convenient one should
decompress on-demand only the blocks of file that are really accessed by GDB
- expecting by bfd_iovec. Obviously GDB usually needs to access only small
part of the whole core file.
I did not check how it is supported by gzip but for xz one needs to use
--block-size, otherwise the file blocks cannot be decompressed independently
in random access way.
ISTM libz-gzip and liblzma-xz compatibility is mutually exclusive.