This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GDB project.
RE: [RFA] dwarf debug format: Support DW_AT_variable_parameter attribute
- From: "Pierre Muller" <pierre dot muller at ics-cnrs dot unistra dot fr>
- To: "'Joel Brobecker'" <brobecker at adacore dot com>
- Cc: "'Tom Tromey'" <tromey at redhat dot com>, <gdb-patches at sourceware dot org>, "'FPC Core Developer List'" <core at freepascal dot org>
- Date: Mon, 17 May 2010 23:45:26 +0200
- Subject: RE: [RFA] dwarf debug format: Support DW_AT_variable_parameter attribute
- References: <firstname.lastname@example.org> <email@example.com> <20100517172758.GJ2805@adacore.com> <000301caf5e7$222ac800$66805800$@firstname.lastname@example.org> <20100517174726.GK2805@adacore.com>
you are right:
this was Tom's question:
>I wonder whether it is possible for such a parameter to be marked as
>LOC_COMPUTED or LOC_OPTIMIZED_OUT by var_decode_location. If so then
>changing the class to LOC_REF_ARG seems incorrect.
I looked a little more into the sources
and now understand that my patch is indeed
I hoped that simple case like variables in registers
or at a fixed offset relative to stack would simply
be treated as in stabs and assign a LOC_REGISTER
or LOC_ARG SYMBOL_CLASS,
but there is no such conversion ...
See note line 8459 from dwarf2read.c source.
/* NOTE drow/2002-01-30: It might be worthwhile to have a static
expression evaluator, and use LOC_COMPUTED only when necessary
(i.e. when the value of a register or memory location is
referenced, or a thread-local block, etc.). Then again, it might
not be worthwhile. I'm assuming that it isn't unless performance
or memory numbers show me otherwise. */
I fear that my patch will have to wait until
this static expression evaluator is implemented...
Let's drop this patch for now.
Thanks for the clever question, Tom!
> -----Message d'origine-----
> De?: email@example.com [mailto:gdb-patches-
> firstname.lastname@example.org] De la part de Joel Brobecker
> Envoyé?: Monday, May 17, 2010 7:47 PM
> À?: Pierre Muller
> Cc?: 'Tom Tromey'; email@example.com
> Objet?: Re: [RFA] dwarf debug format: Support DW_AT_variable_parameter
> > So, may I commit this patch?
> As far as I can tell, there was a question from Tom that is still