This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GDB project.
Re: [RFA] dwarf2_physname
- From: Michael Eager <eager at eagercon dot com>
- To: Keith Seitz <keiths at redhat dot com>
- Cc: gdb-patches at sourceware dot org
- Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 15:55:50 -0700
- Subject: Re: [RFA] dwarf2_physname
- References: <4A9C358E.firstname.lastname@example.org>
Keith Seitz wrote:
To start, I would like to submit a patch which is the beginnings of
removing GDB's use of the DWARF2 quasi-attribute
DW_AT_MIPS_linkage_name. Instead of using this attribute, GDB will start
generating physical names itself.
Does this mean that (eventually) the DW_AT_MIPS_linkage_name attribute
will not be needed by GDB?
Coincidentally, the Dwarf Committee just approved adding DW_AT_linkage_name
to DWARF Version 4. The semantics are substantially the same as
The semantics are substantially the same as DW_AT_MIPS_linkage_name.
There was a significant amount of discussion about whether this was
really needed. There were a couple examples where it might provide
information which was not otherwise available or where it compensated
for linkers which didn't support weak externs.
Michael Eager email@example.com
1960 Park Blvd., Palo Alto, CA 94306 650-325-8077