This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GDB project.
GDB 7.4.1 released!
- From: Joel Brobecker <brobecker at adacore dot com>
- To: gdb-announce at sourceware dot org
- Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2012 09:18:44 -0700
- Subject: GDB 7.4.1 released!
GDB 7.4.1 released!
Release 7.4.1 of GDB, the GNU Debugger, is now available via anonymous
FTP. GDB is a source-level debugger for Ada, C, C++, Objective-C,
Pascal and many other languages. GDB can target (i.e., debug programs
running on) more than a dozen different processor architectures, and GDB
itself can run on most popular GNU/Linux, Unix and Microsoft Windows
You can download GDB from the GNU FTP server in the directory:
The vital stats:
Size md5sum Name
20MB 8854d34691087ec127d934692639855f gdb-7.4.1.tar.bz2
27MB 5fb7fca9ef7a9e3cfee0e2f2c0e52051 gdb-7.4.1.tar.gz
There is a web page for GDB at:
That page includes information about GDB mailing lists (an announcement
mailing list, developers discussion lists, etc.), details on how to
access GDB's CVS repository, locations for development snapshots,
preformatted documentation, and links to related information around
the net. We will put errata notes and host-specific tips for this release
on-line as any problems come up. All mailing lists archives are also
browsable via the web.
GDB 7.4.1 is a minor corrective release based on GDB 7.4, bringing
the following fixes:
* [GDB/MI] Error when resuming program execution in all-stop mode
("Cannot execute this command without a live selected thread").
* [Pascal] Polluted display of class methods parameters.
* [target remote] Errror when connecting to remote target where
disconnected tracing is in effect.
* [AVX] Float and ymm* register values not available.
* [GDB] Crash when using the "finish" command.
* [build] makeinfo should not be required to build GDB.
GDB 7.4 brings new targets, features and improvements, including:
* New target: Texas Instruments TMS320C6x (tic6x-*-*)
* New simulator: Renesas RL78 (rl78-*-elf)
* New configure option --with-iconv-bin.
* Python scripting improvements:
** The Python commands and convenience functions located in
the data directory are now automatically loaded on GDB start-up.
** New command "set python print-stack none|full|message",
replacing "maint set python print-stack on|off", which has
been deprecated in GDB 7.5.
** The "gdb.breakpoint" function has been deprecated in favor of
** Type objects for struct and union types now allow access to
the fields using standard Python dictionary (mapping) methods.
** Four new attributes in class Block.
** Class Symbols now provides a "type" attribute.
** A prompt substitution hook, and a new gdb.prompt module.
** A new class "gdb.FinishBreakpoint".
** A new event "gdb.new_objfile".
** A new function, "deep_items" has been added to module gdb.types.
* Changes to existing commands:
** libthread-db-search-path now supports two special values:
$sdir and $pdir
* New commands:
** "skip file", "skip function": To skip uninteresting functions
** watch EXPRESSION mask MASK_VALUE
** info auto-load-scripts [REGEXP]
** info macro [-all] [--] MACRO
** collect[/s] EXPRESSIONS
** tstart [NOTES]
** tstop [NOTES]
** "!" (alias of the "shell" command)
* New options:
** set extended-prompt
** set print entry-values (both|compact|default|if-needed|no|only|
show print entry-values
** set debug entry-values
show debug entry-values
** set basenames-may-differ
** set trace-user
** set trace-stop-notes
* GDB now handles ambiguous linespecs more consistently, and set
a breakpoint on all matching locations. Locations will be added
or removed according to inferior changes.
* Masked Watchpoint support on PowerPC BookE running
a Linux kernel (version 2.6.34 or later).
* Ability to display function parameter values at the time the function
gets called (only available with code compiled with GCC 4.7 or later).
See new option "set print entry-values".
* Tracepoint improvements:
** Ability to enable and disable tracepoints at any time after
a trace experiment has been started.
** Fast tracepoints on 32-bit x86-architectures can now be placed
at locations with 4-byte instructions (the minimum was previously
* Remote protocol changes:
** New packets: QTEnable, QTDisable, QTNotes, qTP, qTMinFTPILen,
** New commands: "set dcache line" and "set dcache line-size".
** New command "set remote hardware-watchpoint-length-limit".
* GDB/MI changes:
** "*stopped" events can report several new "reason"s.
** Breakpoint changes are now notified using new async records.
** New command: -ada-task-info.
* New GDBserver operation: --once.
* The gdbtui binary will be deprecated deprecated starting with GDB
7.5. Use "gdb -tui" instead.
For a complete list and more details on each item, please see the