Re: Questions regarding submittals

> The hack that I used is to create a new pseudo directive in gas called
> .compiler that takes a string argument in order to update the Compilation
> Unit for each module. I modified ASM_IDENTIFY_GCC to include this pseudo
> directive. However, that also means I needed to include the directive in
> gcc/config/pa/*.asm. For MPE and the HP3000, that's OK because gas is the
> only assembler available there. However, on HP-UX it is possible to not
> use gas, and these directives would break that assembler.
>
> Is there a better way to approach this in order to communicate the pertinent
> information to gas in order to generate the SOM Compilation Unit records
> in BFD for MPE without breaking things elsewhere?

Where the existing ports need to emit this information, they use
FILE_ASM_OP - usually defined to something like file or .file,
or better, output_file_directive .
output_file_directive uses ASM_OUTPUT_MAIN_SOURCE_FILENAME or
ASM_OUTPUT_SOURCE_FILENAME, if defined.

output_file_directive can be called from ASM_FILE_START; e.g. look at
config/svr4.h .