Re: ASM_COMMENT_START and gas divide operator

Jeffrey A Law <law@cygnus.com> writes:

|>   In message <Pine.LNX.3.96.980501124359.28262A-100000@mullet.Levels.UniSA.Edu.ou write:
|>   > There is a problem with using "/" to start comments, such as those
|>   > emitted by gcc's -fverbose-asm.  If gas needs to support "/" meaning
|>   > the start of a comment anywhere on a line, then the gas division
|>   > operator is killed, sometimes silently.  For instance:
|>   >   asm("pushl $FOO/2")
|>   > is treated as if the programmer wrote
|>   >   asm("pushl $FOO")
|>   >
|>   > Of course, this is only a problem with hand-coded assembly, but it
|>   > would be nice to fix gas and gcc.  At least on linux, where the only
|>   > assembler used with gcc is gas, we should be able to make the
|>   > following change without causing too many problems.
|>   >
|>   > 	* config/linux.h (ASM_COMMENT_START): Define as "#"
|>   > 	* config/linux-aout.h (ASM_COMMENT_START): Likewise
|> Thanks.  I've installed this into egcs.

This is wrong, it breaks m68k-linux, and perhaps all other non-intel linux
port.  It must be moved to config/i386/linux.h.  There is no such thing as
a universal comment character.

--
Andreas Schwab                                      "And now for something
schwab@issan.informatik.uni-dortmund.de              completely different"