Re: more on powerpc-rtems ar failure

On Thu, 16 Apr 1998, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:

> In general, no.  You can see which formats will be supported for a
> particular configuration target by looking in config.bfd.  The
> s-records and binary formats are always supported, as are the tekhex
> and Intel hex formats.  For your particular example of m68k-coff, you
> will get support for m68k-coff, versados, and m68k IEEE, but not
> m68k-aout or m68k-elf.

This seems like a pretty reasonable default to start with.  I will ask the
testers what formats they would like to see enabled by default for
CPU-rtems and then change config.bfd accordingly.  I suspect that the
biggest change will be to support a.out, coff, and elf.  It is common to
find loaders on embedded systems which know a.out or coff but you don't
necessarily want to use that as your native format.

Would this be a general enough change where the target CPU-rtems is based
on would also be acceptable to have this behavior?  For example, m68k-coff
and m68k-rtems are essentially the same.  Would it be acceptable to add
m68k-aout to both?

>    On CPUs
>    with both big and little endian, does it get all the "same endian"
>    formats?
>
> It normally gets both big and little endian variants, if that is what
> you are asking.

Great!!

Thanks again.

--joel