Re: binutils-2.9 objcopy fails (fwd)

I went ahead and asked the obvious questions on the m68k-rtems objcopy
failure.  I hope it helps.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 98 14:09:46 -0600
From: Eric Norum <eric@skatter.usask.ca>
To: Joel Sherrill <joel@oarcorp.com>
Subject: Re: binutils-2.9 objcopy fails

You wrote:
> I have forwarded this to the binutils list. What version of
> binutils did you upgrade from?

Thanks.  Perhaps you could forward this, too?
It's been so long since I had to make a 32-bit bootstrap prom that I
don't remember which version I used to use. :-(

> I have breakages in powerpc-rtems and mips64orion-rtems. There is
> some known shared library problem. Are you building with
> --enabled-shared?

I just built with whatever `bit' does.

I'm pretty sure that I'm not trying to build anything with shared
libraries.

Just for the heck of it, I tried running this under gdb.  I found
that the text segment of prom.exe seems to be copied with no problem,
but the data segment fails:
Breakpoint 3, copy_section (ibfd=0xe61a0, isection=0xe6994,
obfdarg=0xe9220) at
../../src/binutils/../../src/binutils/objcopy.c:1287
1287              if (!bfd_set_section_size (obfd, osection, size))
(gdb) step
1288                nonfatal (bfd_get_filename (obfd));
(gdb) print size
$5 = 1900

The fact that this fails the second time through is not too
surprising, given the code at the beginning of
bfd_set_section_size........

boolean
bfd_set_section_size (abfd, ptr, val)
     bfd *abfd;
     sec_ptr ptr;
     bfd_size_type val;
{
  /* Once you've started writing to any section you cannot create or
change
     the size of any others. */

  if (abfd->output_has_begun)
    {
      bfd_set_error (bfd_error_invalid_operation);
      return false;
    }

---
Eric Norum                                 eric@skatter.usask.ca
Saskatchewan Accelerator Laboratory        Phone: (306) 966-6308
University of Saskatchewan                 FAX:   (306) 966-6058
Saskatoon, Canada.