Re: New bug in gas980329

   From: Don Bowman <don@pixsci.com>
   Date: Mon, 30 Mar 1998 11:21:35 -0500

   With the gas980329 drop, configured as mips-gnu-elf (from cygwin32),
   the following fragment causes an assertion failure.

   Interestingly, if I remove the .stabn, then it assembles OK.
   I would have assumed the .stabn didn't affect the delays,
   but I guess they must. Maybe to keep all of a 'C' line without
   delay slots from the nex line?

   ------this fragment (f.s)-----
	   lbu     $2,0($3)
   LABEL:
	   .stabn 68,0,4,LABEL
	   addu    $6,$6,-1
   -------------------------------

This works fine with my sources.  I expect the problem is due to your
MIPS_STABS_ELF patch.

On the MIPS, a label is automatically attached to the following
statement.  You can see this happening in s_cons and s_align in
config/tc-mips.c.  Perhaps some of that code is getting executed
inappropriately, when there is some confusion about the section.
Perhaps you have switched to the .stab section without calling
mips_emit_delays.

Actually, you don't want to call mips_emit_delays in this case; you
just want to somehow prevent the section checks from firing while you
are in the .stab section.

Ian