Re: other apps that assemble code

: Date: Thu, 5 Feb 1998 09:48:44 -0800
: From: Doug Evans <devans@cygnus.com>
:
:    Date: Thu, 05 Feb 1998 17:41:27 +0000
:    From: Richard Earnshaw <rearnsha@arm.com>
:
:    > Can anyone think of any useful applications that want to
:    > assemble code besides an assembler?
:
:    How about a compiler.  It doesn't have to spit out assembly language
:    directly, and might be able to do a better job in some cases if it could
:    write an object file directly.
:
: Yes, but in this case does the compiler internally create assembly code
: and then parse that assembly code to spit out the object file?
: Maybe there is a compiler that does so, but I would think it would just
: keep the insns internally in some form and not deal with assembly code at all.

Well one compiler I worked on did this, but it did have to include a
disassembler so that it could support the -S option.

:    (or am I missing your point?)
:
: I'm not sure but I think so.

Nick