Re: ANSI strings, comment style, ...

Ian Lance Taylor <ian@cygnus.com> writes:

  >    Date: Tue, 4 Nov 1997 15:38:12 -0800
  >    From: Doug Evans <devans@cygnus.com>

  >    You're using ANSI C facilities to stop strings from running past
  >    80 columns.  Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I believe
  >    that's a no-no.  [Is it written down somewhere what, if any,
  >    of ANSI C facilities one can use for GAS?  Should we set a timeframe for
  >    when we'll start allowing such things?]

  > gas and the binutils are, of course, a special case, because they may
  > be required to bootstrap the compiler.  My inclination is to never
  > permit ANSI C features.

To be honest I was not sure this was new in ANSI. We are not talking
about cpp "#" and "##" operations. What I think we are talking about
is writing:

                  printf("A very long string. Warning: unacceptable argument to %s instruction", insn);

as

                  printf("A very long string."
                         "Warning: unacceptable argument to %s instruction\n",
                          insn);

If this is not acceptable, what is the preferred way to do this? I'd
sooner not make it two printf's and I think

                  printf("A very long string.\
Warning: unacceptable argument to %s instruction\n", insn);

Is almost as ugly as just letting the line wrap.

Ian