Re: global vars and symbol visibility for mips32/elf

From: Ruediger Helsch <rh@unifix.de>
Subject: Re: global vars and symbol visibility for mips32/elf
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 1996 22:06:12 +0200 (MEST)

> I am quite surprised to find that everybody thinks that GCC and LD
> should be changed.  We modified them for our Linux distributions because
> we wanted strict C standard and POSIX conformance.  But the standard
> conformant behaviour can also break many programs which rely on COMMONS.
> We had e.g. to adapt the X11 config files to use "cc -ansi -fcommon".

I don't think at all that the standard behaviour should be to disallow
commons.  We use it in some places in glibc.

It should be disallowed to match a common var with a function in the
shared.  This never makes sense.

> I personally think that either "gcc -ansi" should conform to the C standard
> or the option should be renamed (-nearly-ansi), but until shortly this
> seemed to be a minority opinion.

I think gcc -ansi should really be ANSI compliant (btw, what about
changing the name to -iso since the official name is ISO C?)

-- Uli
--------------.       drepper@cygnus.com  ,-.   Rubensstrasse 5
Ulrich Drepper \    ,--------------------'   \  76149 Karlsruhe/Germany
Cygnus Support  `--'  drepper@gnu.ai.mit.edu  `------------------------