Re: libiberty question

   Date: Tue, 9 Jul 1996 09:04:04 -0500 (CDT)
   From: Joel Sherrill <joel@merlin.gcs.redstone.army.mil>

   I think rtems needs to be treated like vxworks.  I added a
   config/mt-rtems which had the following:

   HDEFINES = -DNO_SYS_PARAM_H -DNO_SYS_FILE_H

I tend to think that you will be better off providing both those
files.

   The config/mt-vxworks5 file had the building of a vxconfig.h.  Could
   someone explain it to me well enough so I can decide if I should build
   something similar.  It builds with just the above line in the mt file, I
   just wanted to know if I should be doing more.

The way libiberty configures itself is to link programs and try to
figure out what is missing.  VxWorks, however, is unusual, in that
programs are never fully linked.  Instead, relocateable object files
are downloaded into the VxWorks system, which completes the link as it
loads the object.  VxWorks provides the basic libc functions.  The
effect of this is that the libiberty configuration method is useless,
because it is not possible to fully link a program, and thus it is not
possible to figure out what is present and what is missing.  The
special VxWorks configuration handling in libiberty is used to get
around that problem.

If RTEMS has similar characteristics, then a similar solution will be
required.  In the more normal case, however, it will not.

Ian