Re: fat binaries ?

I don't think it is essential to have fat binaries.
In fact I think it is more convenient to use other techniques
such as architecture-dependent symlinks together with separate
directories for the various architectures.

But if a convention is established for multi-architecture binaries, we
might as well support it.  All that would be needed would be a simple
program to extract and install subfiles in an archive of that kind.

This is a modular design which would not involve any changes in the C
compiler or GAS, and perhaps not even in the binutils.