Re: Maximum Alignment Restrictions

   Date: Thu, 11 Jan 1996 11:32:55 -0600 (CST)
   From: Joel Sherrill <joel@merlin.gcs.redstone.army.mil>

   What is the rationale for the maximum alignment supported on a particular
   CPU family?

   My current problem is that the SPARC trap table must be on a 4K boundary
   but that appears to be too large.

Note that many of these restrictions eminate from the
linkers/assemblers which gcc has to interface with.

As for your trap table alignment problem, I have no problem getting
mine properly aligned in my kernels at all.  I know where I am going
to fix the text start address in the final link, so I know where the
text segment will be in the first object file I feed to the linker.
So this is where I place the trap table etc... this is what all Sparc
OS's do btw, check out netbsd/openbsd or Sparc Linux for example.  It
is not really a problem.

Later,
David S. Miller
davem@caip.rutgers.edu