Re: Maximum Alignment Restrictions

   Date: Thu, 11 Jan 1996 11:32:55 -0600 (CST)
   From: Joel Sherrill <joel@merlin.gcs.redstone.army.mil>

   What is the rationale for the maximum alignment supported on a particular
   CPU family?

There is no such maximum in BFD.  In BFD, a CPU type provides a
default alignment.

   My current problem is that the SPARC trap table must be on a 4K boundary
   but that appears to be too large.

   My thinking is that there is no particular reason (except object format
   limitations) to place a CPU dependent limit on maximum alignment boundary.

There is no other reason.

In what way is this affecting you?  You didn't say what target you are
using.  Perhaps you are using a SPARC a.out target.  The problem there
is the a.out object file format has no way to specify the alignment of
a section.  BFD must guess, and it guesses based on the CPU type.  The
CPU type is not specifying a maximum alignment.  It is providing a
default alignment to use when the alignment can not be otherwise
determined.

Ian