The new x86 gas in binutils.

Hi,

I have been trying to compile the new binutils snapshot under Linux
for a while now. I am usung gas-950222. I have found the following
things:

1. Some 16 bit supports were added to the binutils. Some assembly
   codes in the Linux C library had to be modified to assembler.
   One example is I had to change "popfl" to just "popf". There
   may be more in the Linux kernel code. I am not sure if that is
   a feature or a bug :-(.
2. The new binutils are very unstable for ELF with PIC. I couldn't
   use gas/ld in gas-950222 to make a shared Linux C library in
   ELF. I had to go back to my private version, 2.5.2.7.

I am afraid the current new binutils are not usable for Linux and
once when they get fixed some asm code in the Linux kernel may
have to be modified.

--
H.J. Lu
NYNEX Science and Technology, Inc.			hjl@nynexst.com