Re: Add -N support to ELF?

>    From: hjl@nynexst.com (H.J. Lu)
>    Date: Mon, 20 Feb 95 16:18:38 EST
>
>    This patch is derived from some patch I got, Eric? It should work
>    fine. Ian, is that ok to uncomment my patch to elf.sc with this one
>    applied? I guess the docs should be updated to reflect the usage
>    of -N in ELF.
>
> The basic problem with this approach is that I believe it will cause
> the linker to unexpectedly abort if, say, one of the input files has a
> writable .text section.  Try it.

I know. That is why I put those comments there and why Eric commented
it out at the first place. At that time, ctors/dtors were in the
.text segment.

> The linker already aborts unexpectedly far too often, and I would
> prefer not to introduce another possibility.  If you can write the
> patch in such a fashion that it can not cause a linker abort--perhaps
> by making it retry the division of sections into segments if the first

I think it is wrong to put the writable section into the .text section.
It will break any schemes which uses the .text section like

const char * const foo = "You should die if you modify it.";

There must be a bug in somewhere else if ld dies. It is not my
patch's fault.

--
H.J. Lu
NYNEX Science and Technology, Inc.			hjl@nynexst.com