Re: A change to ld in the binutils 2.4 breaks Linux

   From: hjl@nynexst.com (H.J. Lu)
   Date: Mon, 19 Sep 94 23:15:47 EDT

   But with the new
   binutils, under Linux

   gcc foo.c bar.c

   links ok. That breaks the Linux shared library. Eric, we have to either
   change our tools or modify the binutils.

   -----foo.c----
   main ()
   {
     extern int x;
     return x;
   }
   int x = 0;

   asm (".stabs \"_need_this_one\",0,0,0,0");

The new linker does not complain about undefined symbols unless they
are needed in relocs.  This is consistent with the SunOS linker, at
least, and, I suspect, other linkers as well.

I'm not entirely sure what the objective is here, but if what you want
to do is simply determine whether a particular symbol is defined, you
could just use the autoconf approach.

Ian