branch made for gas, binutils releases

I've made a branch in the Cygnus source tree for the code to be released
shortly.  Thus new development work will stop showing up for a little while.
I'd like to do mostly cleanup work at this point, for the next few days or
so.  (DJ, I still would like to get your changes into this release, if you
can get them to me quickly and they're reasonably straightforward.)

People working in the Cygnus source tree itself: Look for branch tag
`gas23-binutils24-branch'; that's the branch to check things in on if they
need to go into the net release.  See also tag
`gas23-binutils24-branch-point'.

I do still have a few items on my queue to do in this branch before it goes
out:
 + Some of the renaming for DOS (8.3) compatibility is still left, but
   I think only a couple cases remain -- linker test code, and
   c++filt.  The rest should be done now.
 + The Sparc Solaris assembler should ignore `-q'; using that option
   makes the native assembler much faster, so it'd be nice not to complain.
 + The new i960-coff code needs more testing.
 + And I've got a few test cases to check in that I've been keeping in
   my own private copy of the sources.

Please test this assembler and binutils out, and let me know if any serious
problems remain.  Otherwise, it'll go out largely as it'll be in tonight's
snapshot.

Ken