Re: enabling shared builds

Kris Van Hees wrote:
Andrew Cagney wrote:
- switch to install-tree testing
Would mean breaking configure convention and set --prefix=. On the other hand it would mean only testing one way.

Seems I've created a little confusion with "and set -prefix". I don't think anyone was thinking of installing into /usr, which, if nothing else, would require root privileges.. --prefix would need to be pointed at something like $BUILD/_oinst and then overridden when doing a system build/install.

Andrew

Definitely a big 'no' on this one.  For one, forcing an install of development
builds in order to be able to test it is asking for trouble.  Secondly, it is
(hopefully) going to be more likely in the future that a system will have frysk
already installed as part of the OS install, and a development build shouldn't
wipe out the installed version for sure.  Thirdly, it is common practice with
software projects to follow a 'build -> test -> install' sequence, which is
generally the most sensible way because you wouldn't want to install something
that is broken, i.e. test before you install.

Cheers,
Kris