Re: Doing a vendor branch import and merge if libunwind

Mark Wielaard wrote:
Hi Andrew,

On Thu, 2007-11-22 at 16:26 -0500, Andrew Cagney wrote:
If we have a good workflow we should update the webpages.
Thanks to Tim for helping me out when I got stuck on irc.
Please don't hold back here; this is clearly far better than what we have now; so should replace what we have now

Yeah, you are right. I was just holding back since I am not sure this is really the best workflow. But it does seem to work. So I cleaned up the working a bit and added it to the end of htdocs/build/git-fu.html.

Thanks.
Please update and expand if you know a better way to do it.

The thing you don't record now in git is the 'extra fixes needed for
this new import' step. I am not sure you can actually do that nicely,
because if you commit immediately after the merge to trunk, but before
you fix things up to resolve either conflicts or new stuff needed to
compiler/run correctly you are left with a commit that won't
compiler/run the tests correctly, which is bad if someone really wants
to use bisect for example.

Nurdin handled this by doing the merge onto a branch cut from mainline. Once all was resolved he merged that.

I pushed the git-fu.html change, but that did give me an error (I assume
from the server): "/git/frysk.git/hooks/update-htdocs: line 21:
git-archive: command not found"
And http://sourceware.org/frysk/build/git-fu.html hasn't been updated
with the new changes.

Cheers,