Re: subset of EL/IX for DSPs

Julian Rose <jhrose@dial.pipex.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
> Could anyone point me to info regarding a subset of EL/IX
> or POSIX that targets DSPs? Or if anyone else is thinking
> about this then their suggestions would be welcome. The
> context of the question is the kernel I'm developing, please
> see "http://www.jhrose.dial.pipex.com/dsp_K.htm". Thanks.

Nobody has put any real thought into the requirements of DSPs yet.
Embedded and real-time systems have proven to be difficult enough to
pin down. I suspect that DSPs would require a subset of the RT subset
of EL/IX, perhaps with special schedulers and variations of some
communications primitives. Whether we need to provide a specific DSP
subset, or whether this would just be a version of the real-time
subset I don't really know yet.

Suggestions and comments about what would be good for DSPs are very
welcome. This would at least help to ensure that the next version of
EL/IX is not actively DSP-hostile.

--
Nick Garnett, eCos Kernel Architect
Red Hat, Cambridge, UK