This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Elix project.
First Comments on the EL/IX API Draft Specification
- To: Paul Beskeen <paulb at cygnus dot co dot uk>
- Subject: First Comments on the EL/IX API Draft Specification
- From: Joel Sherrill <joel dot sherrill at OARcorp dot com>
- Date: Thu, 09 Dec 1999 12:48:21 -0600
- CC: elix at sourceware dot cygnus dot com
- Organization: OAR Corporation
- References: <email@example.com>
- Reply-To: joel dot sherrill at OARcorp dot com
Paul Beskeen wrote:
> Once digested, please feel free to send in your comments on the draft and
> engage in discussions on the general EL/IX mailing list
> firstname.lastname@example.org You can add yourself to this mailing list from the
> main EL/IX web pages.
Let me start by saying that a useful and reasonable subset of POSIX for
embedded systems is very important. The RTEMS Project has long believed
this type of effort was critical to the success of providing
across a wide range of systems. :)
I have not disgested the entire thing yet but had a handful of questions
and comments to kick things off.
+ Has any analysis been done on how newlib stacks up? The focus seems
+ Where are the *64() functions from? (open64(), read64(), etc.)
+ How does the networking functionality included related to the POSIX
+ My gut feeling is that there is something meaningful between levels
1 and 2. Level 2 appears to include glibc specific functions. I
there should be a real standard POSIX subset above level one which
not include "vendor specific" routines.
Joel Sherrill, Ph.D. Director of Research & Development
joel@OARcorp.com On-Line Applications Research
Ask me about RTEMS: a free RTOS Huntsville AL 35805
Support Available (256) 722-9985