Re: dwarflint: ranges of DIEs in hierarchy

On 10/05/2009 11:44 PM, Roland McGrath wrote:
>> I can't decide whether that case is kosher, I can argue both sides.
>> Shouldn't the parent either claim addresses of its child, or not have
>> that DIE as a child in a first place?
>
> No, I'm pretty confident that's kosher as it is.

Well, currently dwarf_getscopes assumes that every child is a strict
PC-subset of the parent, so it won't ever find a PC in such unclaimed
children.

Similarly, dwarf_getfuncs won't return nested functions either.  I see
no real way to fix these without traversing nearly all DIEs. :(

> The DIE nesting there indicates the lexical scope of the inner
> function.  It's right for it to be there, so that you can tell e.g.
> that the DW_TAG_variable entries of its parent function are visible
> inside that inner DW_TAG_subprogram scope.

In other nested lexical scopes, like a C++ class method, you get a
top-level DW_TAG_subprogram DIE with a DW_AT_specification to the nested
definition.  Wouldn't that be a better way for these nested functions to
generate dwarf too?

Josh