Re: library name patch for 0.146

On Tue, 27 Apr 2010, Ulrich Drepper wrote:
> It's not more convenient if you cannot recognize anything because the
> line is too long.

   Well, the fields are separated by space and recognizing them is not as
difficult as you think it is. Besides I'm sure you do realise that one has
no control over the line length, for it's a pure function of symbol name,
which could be of *any* length. Adding 10-15 character library name to an
already *long* line is not going to hamper it's readability as much as you
think. And even if, let's say, it does to some extent, the cost of that
long length and readability seems affordable when compared to the utility
of the information and convenience it offers to the user, don't you think
so?

> There is a reason why the information is split.

   I'm sure there is reason why information is split. But please don't
overlook the fact that all the reasons and information split is not
helping the user as much as it could.

Let's take a look at the information split, the .gnu_version section
displayed by option -V shows

   Even symbol index: version index version name(library name)

Of which -s already gives us the version index and version name along with
the symbol name, right? Then why leave library name in .gnu_version, when
it could be of much more help seen next to a symbol name, just for the
line length, seriously? No offence but that sounds like my friend's
father-in-law who said he won't let his daughter marry my friend because
he(my friend) is bald.

> And nobody is forcing you to use -s only.

  I know nobody is forcing me to use -s only. But as I said, using -sV
together is not as convenient/easy option as you make it sound.

--
Regards
   - Prasad