Re: RFC: move dwarfstrings into libdw

On Tue, Jul 24, 2012 at 04:25:51PM -0700, Roland McGrath wrote:
> If the point of cpp-various is just to generate testdata, then just compile
> it once and make a binary test file to run readelf on.

The point was more to have something like a self-test. If there is a
C++ compiler on the system, we want to make sure we recognize the
produced DWARF. The current testcase is very simple, it can certainly
be expanded to test some "deeper" C++ constructs.

> IMHO this should be several separate changes that we review individually.

Yeah, it turned out larger than I thought because while writing the
test cases I found some stuff that I then added immediately on the
branch. And it was late, so I wanted to at least push it out.
I'll split them.

> I don't really think we need to keep DW_LANG_Objc around.
> If there are any users they can update their spelling, but
> there probably aren't any.

That would be convenient, since then we don't have duplicate names.
I was a little paranoid wanting backwards compatibility, but in this
case it might be there are no actual users.

> Actually, it should be one change to add DW_OP_GNU_parameter_ref to dwarf.h
> and handle it in readelf.  That's separate from other dwarf.h changes.

Yeah, I'll split that one out, it rolled out of adding the testcase.

Thanks,

Mark