Re: [patch] Add printing of .gdb_index section to readelf

On Thu, 2011-04-21 at 11:12 -0700, Roland McGrath wrote:
> Obviously it's not a catastrophic issue.

Yeah :) Sorry this is taking so much electrons. Clearly the time to
write these emails has taken more energy than writing the actual code.
But better to talk it out than to just let it stand there without real
agreement.

>   But these are tools for ELF and
> DWARF, not for one-off formats produced and used only by a single tool.
> Even sdt has two whole disjoint consumers.

Well. That is why I asked Tom to document it better and more
prominently. I don't think it will just disappear over night. And I am
willing to maintain it would there ever be alternative variants.

We don't really have a "not super solid yet, but also not really slushy
anymore" elf/dwarf tools in elfutils atm. And IMHO it really doesn't
make sense to add something like that. eu-readelf really should just
grok them all. It seems the only thing we are really arguing about is
whether the format has "solidified" enough. Or do you really like to
have another tool that handles "somewhat slushy" sections?

To be honest I would like gdb to drop this section. It eats up valuable
space that I think we could use better and/or in other ways that make it
easier to add other consumers for it. But only by actually supporting it
now and working together on it can we achieve that.

Cheers,

Mark