Re: [patch] Add printing of .gdb_index section to readelf

Ulrich> Why would you assume this is even possible.  The format is exclusively
Ulrich> used by gdb.  The gdb people unilaterally make changes.  If gdb cannot
Ulrich> read the info in a file it'll ignore it.  Versioning all the changes
Ulrich> etc is likely not down nor is it important for gdb.  You would have to
Ulrich> put chains on the gdb people before you can add a decoder in elfutils
Ulrich> and I doubt they want that.

We do change this in GDB whenever we need to.  Jan has a patch ready
that will introduce version 5.

But... first, we try not to change it, because changes are disruptive.
Second, a change requires a version bump and an update to the
documentation (in the past this was just a comment, but in the future it
will require a change to gdb.texinfo).

Tom