Re: [patch] Fix for PIE with both -e and --core in use

On Wed, 28 Nov 2012 17:17:32 +0100, Mark Wielaard wrote:
> I am just hoping we can get the executable state into the find_elf
> callback without adding another internal field to the DWfl_Module struct
> (if only because it is a little cheating, no other user can use it, it
> would be just for our internal argp parser).

This was another reason why I was originally OK with reusing the USERDATA
field.  The argp utility hook is partially an application part, not so much
elfutils internal code.  Application should be able to write its own parser
and this is just one its instance (it could not anyway but that is a different
patch "[patch 3/4] unwinder: Provide dwfl_core_filename_report").

But in practice if you used dwfl_standard_argp then an application had to give
up using USERDATA and there was no other field for the application left, as
application cannot modify dwfl_standard_argp to share the USERDATA field some
way, so an application would have to copy+modify / reimplement
dwfl_standard_argp.  Which is not great just to save a Dwfl_Module field.

Thanks,
Jan