Function symbol retention after stripping

Hi all,

I'm trying to get gbd backtraces to give function names without having
a package's debuginfo installed. Would elfutils take a patch allowing
strip to take an option for keeping the minimal amount of information
needed to do this?

I'm still trying to figure out how to do this exactly but right now I
think I would be keeping SHT_SYMTAB and SHT_DYNSYM function symbols
but I haven't looked at this code before and I'm still trying to
figure out how it all comes together. Any advice would be appreciated
if you'd be okay with this functionality in elfutils.

Thanks,
William