Re: circular reference chains with DW_AT_containing_type

On Mon, 2011-02-21 at 15:23 +0100, Mark Wielaard wrote:
> Not yet sure how to handle this case. The original algorithm depended on
> the reference chain not being cyclic on its own (when ignoring
> children). Obviously that isn't true in at least this case.
>
> Code, plus cycle detection is on mjw/dwarf_output branch.

I added a special case/workaround for self-referential
DW_AT_containing_type attributes (commit 0a1e1b on mjw/dwarf_output
branch). And that seems to "solve" the issue. At least there are no
other reference chain cycles in the make check self tests. So for now I
hope to just continue with the current algorithm setup and regard this
one as just a weird case that shouldn't happen.

I do see dwarfcmp-test failures and crashes though. These might indicate
that dwarf_output is creating bogus trees (or at least ones that
dwarfcmp cannot proof equal to the original). Looking into that.

Cheers,

Mark