Re: sourceware hosting for elfutils

On Wed, 2016-12-21 at 19:49 -0500, Frank Ch. Eigler wrote:
> Thanks for your patience.

Thanks for setting it up!

I'll adjust the project files to point to our new sourceware home and do
a 0.168 release soon to celebrate. That will be our last release from
fedorahosted after which we will only use sourceware as our new base of
operations.

> > We would need:
> >
> > - A public git repository with commit access for a handful developers.
> > The current one is: https://git.fedorahosted.org/git/elfutils.git
> > [...]
>
> OK, this has been mirrored to
> {ssh,git}://sourceware.org/git/elfutils.git Usual sourceware
> userid/request policy to add other committers.

Great. I'll add a pointer to
https://sourceware.org/cgi-bin/pdw/ps_form.cgi to our CONTRIBUTING
guide.

> > - A mailinglist elfutils-devel that is open for posting by anybody
> > [...]
>
> All set, cc:'d.

I don't see it listed at https://sourceware.org/lists.html but I assume
people can use https://sourceware.org/lists.html#ml-requestor to get
subscribed and/or use elfutils-devel-subscribe@sourceware.org

If I give you the current subscriber list of fedorahosted elfutils-devel
could we mass subscribe everybody to the new list? There are about 100
people on the list.

> > https://lists.fedorahosted.org/admin/lists/elfutils-devel.lists.fedorahosted.org/
> > If there is a way to import old archives and subscribers that would be
> > nice.
>
> Sort of done, but had to be undone because the old fedora mbox
> archives were not spam-filtered.  Will have to see if a spam filtering
> run during mhonarc import are feasible.  This can be done later,
> nonconflicting.

Sorry about that. I can try to create a spam free mbox by running
everything through spamassassin first and removing everything marked if
that is helpful.

> > - A place to host releases (ideally all maintainers with git commit
> > access can also upload new releases, but we can designate a specific
> > release master). The current releases are hosted at:
> > https://fedorahosted.org/releases/e/l/elfutils/
> > To keep history it would be nice if the existing ones could be mirrored.
>
> Done, ftp://sourceware.org/pub/elfutils and http://sourceware.org/elfutils/ftp/
> point to a directory you can use, with those old archives all imported.

Awesome. What is the official way to upload new releases there?

> > - A public webpage backed by some wiki setup. [...]
>
> Not a wiki, but how a simple git-backed HTML repo for now?
> {git,ssh}://sourceware.org/git/elfutils-htdocs.git

That is perfect.
I will populate it with something that we will call our homepage.

> > - A bugzilla product/module to collect bugs in. [...]
>
> Getting this set up as we speak.

Thanks. I see elfutils as product now in https://sourceware.org/bugzilla
Could we get as components libelf, libdw, libasm, backends, tools and
general/unknown?

I'll manually add the existing bugs later (there aren't that many).

> > - If possible one or two mailinglist (elfutils-commits/elfutils-bugs)
> > that get emails for git commits, bug creation/modifications [etc.]
>
> How about this, only later on?

It is nice to have all project activity discoverable through
mailinglists. If easier just redirect it to the main elfutils-devel
list. I don't expect there to be that much traffic to overwhelm the
list.

Thanks,