Re: ecos hal symbol table creation mechanism

> On Mon, 16 Nov 2015, Robert H wrote:
>
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I have some questions concerning the ecos hal symbol table creation in
>> hal_tables.h
>>
>> How is it possible to export a symbol which is in the ecos image into
>> some object file for it being able to call it?
>>
>> I know that test_mods.c uses some defines the object file - that the
>> application programer wants to load - uses some defines:
>> e.g.
>> CYG_LDR_TABLE_ENTRY(cyg_alarm_create_entry,"cyg_alarm_create",cyg_alarm_create);
>>
>> which then gets replaced by
>>
>> cyg_ldr_table_entry __name CYG_HAL_TABLE_ENTRY(ldr_table) = {
>> __symbol_name, __handler }; // line 141 in objelf.h
>> // with __name being a struct of
>> // { char *__symbol_name , void *__handler };
>> // where is the definition of ldr_table? I can't seem to find it anywhere
>>
>> and then again gets replaced by
>>
>> cyg_ldr_table_entry __name
>> __attribute__((section(".ecos.table.ldr_table.data")) = {
>> __symbol_name , __handler };
>> // line 103 in hal_tables.h
>>
>> Does the section attribute here tell the compiler to put a struct
>> cyg_ldr_tables_entry entry (in this example: {"cyg_alarm_create" ,
>> cyg_alarm_create} )
>> into the ecos image's section .ecos.table.ldr_table.data?
>
> Correct. Look on HAL arch. linker script(s). E.g. for ARM architecture
>
> https://sourceware.org/viewvc/ecos/packages/hal/arm/arch/current/src/arm.ld?revision=1.23&view=markup#l329
>
>> Then again, I wonder then how the ecos is able to get the adress of
>> the function/symbol cyg_alarm_create into the handler
>> cyg_alarm_create.
>>
>> I would be very pleased to know more about how the mechanism to get
>> ecos symbols works in hal_tables.h
>
> Generally and particularly (objloader case) the table boundaries are
> known
>
> https://sourceware.org/viewvc/ecos/packages/services/objloader/current/src/objelf.c?view=markup#l62
>
> Look up example, objelf.c:cyg_ldr_external_address():
>
> https://sourceware.org/viewvc/ecos/packages/services/objloader/current/src/objelf.c?view=markup#l219
>

> Sergei
Thank you very much Sergei!
I probably still don't get it by looking at the source code how
       entry->handler gets filled with the address of the symbol_name
in the ecos image.

cyg_ldr_external_address is for accessing the symbol table in that
section until the entry-pointer reached the cyg_ldr_table_end-pointer,
but to me that still doesn't explain how entry->handler gets filled by
the right address.

the application programmer maybe specifying the function he needs but
still I'm dunno how ecos achieves the address of a function from the
ecos image.

Robert

PS.:
I tried to illustrate the array of type struct cyg_ldr_table_entry
inside the section .ecos.table.ldr_table.data :

cyg_ldr_table
cyg_ldr_table_end

/--------------------\
| sym_name 1  |                                                   |
sym_name n   |
| handler 1        |
| handler n        |

entry ++ ---->