Re: Serial Driver imrpovement

On 22/06/12 17:10, Graves, Daniel (GE Healthcare) wrote:
> I found that the following code in Serial.c will cause a buffer overflow
> if there is garbage data on the wire before a thread has started reading
> from the serial port:

>      static rcv_req_reply_t
>      serial_data_rcv_req(serial_channel *chan, int avail,
>                     int* space_avail, unsigned char** space)
>     {
[snip]
>        // Check for space
>        gap = cbuf->nb;
>        if (gap == cbuf->len)
>            return CYG_RCV_FULL;
>
> ----------------------
>
> The line gap == cbuf->len will not always evaluate to true if garbage data
> is received.  This will cause the put variable to shoot way past len.

I don't yet follow the situation you are concerned about. This generic layer
doesn't know about garbage data. Garbage data is just data, and whether before
or after a thread has started reading from the serial port, the underlying
hardware serial driver needs to call serial_data_rcv_req() when data is
received and act accordingly based on the return code.

Based on what you're saying, you are implying that cbuf->nb > cbuf->len ? If
so, then something has gone wrong... I imagine that the hardware driver is not
respecting space_avail on return from serial_data_rcv_req().

Are you using an eCos serial driver or something you wrote yourself?

------["Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere"]------       Opinions==mine