Re: eCos arm-eabi GNU tools - test release 4.6.2-20120125

On 2012-02-13, John Dallaway <john@dallaway.org.uk> wrote:

> Ilija Kocho has been working with a new set of GNU tools for ARM targets
> based on GCC 4.6.2. The new tools incorporate support for Cortex-M4 SIMD
> and FPU instructions. Ref:
>
>    http://ecos.sourceware.org/ml/ecos-devel/2012-01/msg00003.html
>
> I have generated builds of these tools intended for wider testing within
> the eCos community. The test builds can be downloaded from the eCos ftp
> site and are located under the "gnutools" directory:

FWIW, I just tried the new tools building a fairly simple eCos kernel
(based on CVS HEAD from a couple weeks ago) with FreeBSD stack
enabled.  The kernel build generated 172 compiler warnings.  About
half of those (89) are aliasing violations in the bsd stack source
code, so it looks like '-fno-strict-aliasing' needs to be added to the
compiler flags for the FreeBSD stack to safely use the new toolchain.

Of the remaining warnings, about half (45) are variables that are set
but never used.  Most of them are in the FreeBSD stack, but there are
a smattering of them in other places as well.

The remaining warnings a variety things like printf format/arg
mismatches, failed inlines, signed/unsigned mismatches, and so on.

Personally, I'm not comfortable shipping anything that builds with
that many warnings.  For my code, the requirement is zero warnings.
For eCos code, the number of warnings has to be small enough that I
can anlyze them once and thereafter tell at a glance whether any new
ones have popped up.

Doing the same build with my old 3.2.x toolchain generates 6 warnings
that I've never gotten around to fixing -- but I'm familiar with them
and know they're harmless.

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! A can of ASPARAGUS,
                                  at               73 pigeons, some LIVE ammo,