Re: Development environment under Windows without cygwin?

Am Montag, den 16.05.2011, 12:28 +0100 schrieb Alex Schuilenburg:
> That's interesting as I am surprised you got anywhere using arm-elf on
> CVS as CVS has been moved over to use arm-eabi for all 3.0 ARM targets.
>
> Maybe you are using an older target that has not been updated - what is
> your target?

I am using my own platform port. It's an ARM926 based SoC (actually
there are several SoCs from Hilscher, some of them ARM966 based). I
derived the port from the ARM Integrator and Innovator platform ports.
So, the port has been moved to EABI and that's what I'm normally using.
Using elf 4.0.3 was just a try to use the infrastructure of the lab PCs
as it is/was ;)

> I am not sure what you mean by the full cygwin.  Do you mean running the
> cygwin installer, or do you just want to copy over DLLs? Certainly the
> full cygwin is not needed and you only need the base tools and a small
> additional subset of tools/libs. The list of what you need is on the
> sourceware website (somewhere, sorry I cannot be more specific).  I
> would not recommend the latter since the installer sets up registry
> entries (like mountpoints) which would probably cause you grief in
> setting up the env properly.

Actually, what I was trying to do was to get the provided EABI toolchain
running without a cygwin install, i.e. just using the dlls, but not all
the other stuff (make and friends, bash, etc.)

That's what the Hitex provided gcc (4.0.3 elf) was doing. There was just
cygwin1.dll in the binary dir of gcc/binutils and that was it.

I failed doing so, but I got a setup for the lab PCs using a basic
cygwin install, that I just needed to copy over to the machines. It's
running with a modified /etc/profile so that all users on all the
machines run as user ecos with home /home/ecos.
I wrote some batch scripts to fire up cygwin with correctly set PATHs
for the students. Missing registry keys weren't a problem at all.

So, it's up and running now in the lab. I just finished assembling my
self-built USB2JTAG converters, so I'll know on Monday if the students
run into any problems ;)

Cheers and thanks for your pointers!
Manuel

--