Re: Booting rootfs over TFTP with RedBoot

Jonas Gorski wrote:
Hello,

On 14 May 2010 13:37, Stephen Crocker <scrocker@ampltd.com> wrote:
I am currently attempting to test a system using OpenWRT on a Gateworks
Cambria board with an XScale CPU.  I have produced a new rootfs for
experimentation purposes but I do not want to overwrite the rootfs that is
currently in the flash.
(...)
Clearly the kernel and rootfs are intended to be loaded into RAM at the same
location, but this is not possible if the rootfs is to be loaded over TFTP.
 Is there any way to specify a different rootfs offset to the kernel?

Assuming you are using the buildroot from OpenWRT, you just need to select Target Images -> ramdisk in menuconfig. That way the rootfs will be included in the kernel image and automatically used instead of the existing rootfs on flash.

Thank you. That seems to have done the trick.