Re: Re: Linux synthetic target build errors

On Thu, May 06, 2010 at 09:34:33AM -0500, Aziz Bodal wrote:

> My file is statically linked. I ran the command $ file hello.elf and
> I got: hello.elf: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1
> (SYSV), statically linked, not stripped

I tried your hello.elf program and got the same results you did:

 1) Qemu boots up OK

 2) GRUB runs OK

 3) When GRUB attempts to load hello.elf I get

         Booting '/hello.elf'

       kernel /hello.elf

       Error 13: Invalid or unsupported executable format

       Press any key to continue...

There must be something different in your eCos configuration, but I'm
not sure what to check other than making sure you've set
CYG_HAL_STARTUP to GRUB.

> I am stumped! I appreciate the help.

Probably the next things to try are:

 1) Try my server.elf to verify that your ISO/GRUB combination is
    working (I'm pretty sure it is).

 2) Compare your eCos configuration with mine (or just try using
    my configuration).

You can find the following files at

 http://www.panix.com/~grante/files/ecos/

  server.elf

    A sample application that you can run using runit.sh.  It waits
    for an SSL encrypted connection to TCP port 7654 and then echoes
    data received on that connection.  This application has a
    hard-coded IP address of 172.16.0.99.  Once it's running, you can
    test it by doing:

     openssl s_client -connect 172.16.0.99:7654

  newtree-pc_8139.sh

    The shell script used to configure eCos for use with the above
    application and runit.sh script.

  ecos.ecc-pc_8139

    The ecos.ecc file created by the newtree-pc_8139.sh script (used
    to build eCos used by server.elf).

The copy of eCos that I used for this is probably almost two years
old, so it could be that something in eCos has changed.

--
Grant