Re: Replacing CVS - decision time: part 2

On 28/04/10 20:26, BjÃrn Forsman wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 28 April 2010 15:55, Jonathan Larmour <jifl@jifvik.org> wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
>> - To serve on hg, it's just hg serve.
>
> git has 'git instaweb' which is equivalent to 'hg serve'.
> However, I think neither is meant for production use.

hg serve isn't just a repository viewer, but can serve the repository,
like git-daemon.

> [snip]
>
>> - While having 'git cherry' should be useful, showing only the sha1
>> commit ids as output is a terrible UI choice - I suspect it reflects the
>> desire of git to be a toolkit which can be munged by shell scripts. 'hg
>> outgoing' is much better as it's more descriptive.
>
> I use 'git log origin/master..' to see commits that are not in upstream.

That didn't show local commits for me - it only showed the origin's
commits, not what is to be pushed. Am I missing something? Or do you mean
save both complete git logs (the outputs of both 'git log' and 'git log
origin/master') to files and then diff them? If so, wouldn't this get
complicated once you start having local changes that you deliberately
don't want to push?

> Also, 'git status' indicates where you are in reference to upstream.

That only tells me I'm ahead of origin/master by <N> commits, unless
there's an option flag which I haven't been able to discern from the man page.

> (I have actually never used or heard about 'git cherry' before.)

It could be useful to check what's to be pushed before pushing.

[snip]

> Use git for the main repo and hg users install the hg-git plugin [1]
> for seamless operation
> with the main repo. I recently tested this setup and it worked great.

That works either way round - use hg for the main repo, and within that,
use hg-git to export a git repo for git users. As per my mail, I used
hg-git to do that so I could have the same ecos repo with both hg and git.