Re: What's the cheapest develpment h/w for eCos?

On 2009-09-30, Waskita Adijarto <waszbulk@hq.ee.itb.ac.id> wrote:

>> As for cheap hardware, I'd probably look at the ARM
>> development boards from olimex.com or similar.  IIRC there are
>> eCos ports to some of the Cirrus, Philips, and Atmel parts on
>> those boards.
>
> A while ago I checked price of ARM-based board in
> http://ecos.sourceware.org/hardware.html.  Most ARM-based
> board in that list is already obsolete.

Those boards are all ancient, hard-to-find, and expensive if
you can find them.

eCosPro supports many newer boards, but it's not free.

> The cheapest ARM-based board I could find is Atmel AT91SAM7S
> <http://www.atmel.com/dyn/products/devices.asp?family_id=605#1586>,
> around USD 100 in digikey.
>
> Olimex boards are not on that list some are eCos compatible: -
> http://www.olimex.com/dev/lpc-h2294.html "Native hardware
> support by eCOS the anonymous eCos CVS tree has this target
> inside 'olpch2294' eCos target", priced at EUR 70.95
>
> Those boards have no ethernet ports.

I think support for some of Atmel's ARM parts (AT91SAM926x) has
been recently committed, but I have no experience with eCos on
those parts.

Digging a old PC out of the back of the closet is another
option.  Boot RedBoot off a CD or floppy and then load program
images from a TFTP server.

--
Grant