Re: Switching to using git on eCosForge

First of all: great to hear you're looking to upgrade from CVS to
distributed development. A ~20 year leap in tools, bound to be
tricky that one :-)

> Why git in particular?

No reason not to really.

git is easy to use when cloning/downloading + web interfaces exist
where you can download snapshots.

+ git is becoming more of a required skill for embedded development
as Linux requires it, so I looked a bit at mercurial, but didn't really
feel like learning more than one of these distributed systems.. it's
been a while
that anybody suggested or wanted anything but git as an alternative
to svn in the circles I frequent. I'm sure git tools will improve with time.
We're looking 5-10 years into the future here, right?

> The choice of an alternative RCS should also take into consideration
> Windows users, as well as speed and ease of use.

Web interfaces on the server kinda take care of my greatest
concern about those that do not want or need to learn git.

They can wget + tar ...., no version control system at all involved.

Also there are nice git server sites for those that have some
pet project they are working on and want to share, e.g.
http://repo.or.cz/, which pretty much fills the role that
www.ecosforge.net has had up to now

The above said, I don't think I'll care if eCos CVS switches to
git or mercurial. Mercurial is next on my list of distributed systems
to look into and if I only did closed source development, probably
the preferred solution.

--
Ãyvind Harboe
Embedded software and hardware consulting services