From: John Dallaway <john@dallaway.org.uk>
To: Jim Bradleigh <jim.bradleigh1@btinternet.com>
Cc: ecos-discuss@ecos.sourceware.org
Sent: Monday, 24 August, 2009 1:35:09 PM
Subject: [ECOS] Re: Ethernet controllers..

Hi Jim

Jim Bradleigh wrote:

> Thought I would throw this out to the list to see if anyone can help...
>
> As everyone know's eCos supports a limited device driver list for each
> platform, I`m currently running on i386 which limits me to a real-tek
> and two Intel chipsets...
>
> Where do most of you purchase network controllers from?

The easiest route is probably a D-Link DFE-530TX+ PCI card which uses
the RTL8139 part and can be found via Amazon in the UK.

> I can`t find
> any network cards which say they contain the Intel i82544 chipset.. It
> would be nice to start my project with a defined hardware spec that I
> know I can purchase..

The i82544 featured on the Intel Pro/1000 ethernet card which appears to
have been replaced by the Pro/1000 GT card:

http://www.intel.com/products/desktop/adapters/pro1000gt/pro1000gt-overview.htm

The newer card uses the i82541 part which may or may not be compatible.

> One other question, does anyone know if a network card with the Marvell
> 88E1111 chipset exists?

The 88E1111 is an ethernet PHY (transceiver), not a controller.

I hope this helps.

John Dallaway