Re: Re: NAND support

John Dallaway wrote:

UFFS looks like a good fit for eCos. However, it is licensed under the LGPL. I wonder if the authors would be willing to license the filesystem under the eCos public license (dual license) and make a copyright assignment to the FSF. Is this something you have discussed with them? Our current policies do not allow us to accept LPGL run-time code into the eCos repository.

Well, I have not yet discussed this with the author. Might be a good idea to do this ASAP. Well, even if the code cannot be merged into eCos trunk it would be nice to have a package for it.

I assume that your port would sit under the standard eCos Flash I/O
layer (CYGPKG_IO_FLASH). As with all imported packages, it would also be
important to:

UFFS is not yet great for NOR flash, as every file/directory uses at least a complete block. That's why I was asking for the NAND package. The port could support both NOR and NAND flash, but until UFFS is upgraded to handle NOR better, it's quite useless in production.

* Minimise changes to the imported source code so it is as easy as
possible to keep the eCos port up to date.

Agreed.

* Provide all the configurability offered within the imported code as
eCos CDL options.

Agreed.

Simon