RE: Interrupt vs Thread - shared resource

> From: Reg
>
> Thank your for your answer!
>
> I understand, and agree with all the stuff that you wrote (the need of
> ISR, DSR, and the solution). The only reason why I'm calling these
> solutions "hack" (in the meaning, that not the best soulution
> (workaround) ), because the code is depending on the calling
> "enviroment", so the code is somehow application specific.
> If for ex. semaphores could be used in DSRs, the code would be better,
> because the implementation of the semaphore would handle this group of
> questions (if you are in a thread, if you are in a DSR etc)
> So in other words, when you write a procedure, you have to think about
> "what will call this procedure/ or use the shared resource". If only
> threads use a resource, you use mutex. If a thread and a DSR is using
> it, you have to lock scheduler or mask the interrupt or lock the
> specific DSR, just because no sinchronization object can be used in DSRs.
>
> I think allowing the use of sinchronization objects in DSRs would be a
> great feature from eCos (would need to modify the implemetation of
> semaphore, mutex etc.)
> + better code quality
> + faster developement
> + less bugs...
> - a bit more time/resource
>
> So if DSRs are an interface or an intermediate layer between the
> "interrupt world" and the "thread world", why are we not allowed to use
> sinc. objects?

Ah, I see your fundamental problem. You've misread the documentation if you think all these functions aren't usable in DSR context. Most are, as long as you don't use a function that may block. Read the bit at the end of each function description in the Reference Manual for details about the valid contexts they can be used in.

--

Ciao,               Paul D. DeRocco