Re: Re: Migrating away from CVS

Grant Edwards wrote:
On 2008-10-28, Chris Zimman <czimman@bloomberg.com> wrote:
Here's an interesting web page: https://vpnout.com/

Not that _I'd_ oficially condone using something like that to
get around the roadblocks to getting work done that have been
set up by your local Mordac.

I think we should get this right at the root, not curing the symptoms :)

Yeah, I know how to get around it, but I would rather have
something that worked with it. CVS is just outdated in the
networking department as well. Both GIT and SVN work fine over
HTTP/HTTPS.

I guess the big question here is if we want to move from a centralized to a de-centralized VCS. For centralized VCS the logical step would probably be to just switch to SVN, which is the "official" successor to CVS and I guess most people use already (and makes our lives a bit easier compared to CVS). My personal vote would have to be for a de-centralized VCS, which made the life of developers as well as maintainers a lot easier. Working on patches and new features is a blast with clean support for local branches. Patch submission and reviewing process can be made a lot easier as well. I would currently consider GIT and Mercurial. Mercurial being the favorite for it's better support on other platforms than Linux. I currently maintain my local ecos repository using Mercurial, just to have a snappier VCS at my hands which works really well with bigger code bases.

True.

It's a bit OT, but there's one thing I've been wondering about
should eCos switch over to SVN. Since we use SVN locally for
our eCos source tree, is there any way to simultaneusly use SVN
with the "main" repository and with a local repository?

As long as the don't overlap there is no problem, but that's probably exactly what you want to do. I recently discovered ecos's feature of multiple repositories, and I think it's a superb solution to this exact problem. You just put your "private" ecos repository in front of the official one, to do little changes, add new features etc. The only real problem right now is the missing support of the graphical configtool. My current workaround is to use a little script, merging the different repositories using a union filesystem. This is pretty easy on Linux, may be a bit more problematic on Windows though. Anyway, work should probably go into adding support for multiple repos in the configtool. Andy Jackson did some work on this, might be possible to go from there!?

Just my 2 cents ...

Simon