Re: Any developments in thread-aware JTAG debugging?

On 2008-10-08, Jonathan Larmour <jifl@eCosCentric.com> wrote:

>>>eCos still has extensions to allow use of the ARM Multi-ICE (if
>>>you can still find one!).
>>>http://ecos.sourceware.org/multi-ice.html
>>
>> Is that the one with the combination serial/parallel
>> interface? If so, I actually do know where I can find one.  It
>> even worked the last time I tried it (which, admittedly, was
>> probably 8-9 years ago).
>
> It's so long ago I've now forgotten! I definitely remember
> using it with a parallel interface, but that doesn't mean it
> may not have been serial too.

IIRC, the parallel port was unidirectional (host->ICE).  You
could write commands (and more importantly download records) to
the parallel port, but you had to read responses from the
serial port.

>> Maybe an eCos-aware daemon that sits betwen openocd (or any
>> other gdb server) and gdb?
>
> I've advocated doing something like that in the past.

Just like gdb's process table support, such a daemon would
depend on the eCos kernel's thread data structures being
well-defined.  If you can't count on the data structures being
known, then a daemon isn't going to be any more feasible than
building support into gdb itself.

> Not feasibly - the eCos internal thread structures are
> configuration-dependent and thus mutable. On the other hand,
> it's possible to set up a different sort of data structure
> which would never change.

If eCos won't provide some sort of stable process table
structures for debuggers to use, then providing thread-aware
debugging is going to continue to be pretty tough regardless of
whether it's in a separate daemon or integrated into gdb.

--
Grant