Re: Re: Booting from Flash in a AT91M55800A based platform

Marc-Andrà Beck wrote:

No. while booting from RAM I only see the RAM. There's no FLASH part:

RAM: 0x40000000-0x40080000, [0x4001f1e8-0x40034000] available
Are you testing a ROM/Flash boot or a RAM boot? If you're trying to debug apps from RAM you need to use your JTAG to configure the oscillator, PLL, and chip select registers before loading the application into memory.

 > - Does the JTAG software claim that the "program and verify" worked
 > properly?

Yes.

> - Are the Flash chips properly wired on the board?

Yes. Verified and reverified.

Ok. With the chips programmed and verified, you should be able to use the JTAG to reset the board and single step through the first few assembly instructions. Remember that it uses a base address of zero until it gets to the remap (stmia) instruction. And also remember that you can't use the JTAG to single-step over that instruction. There are two points where the system can easily get lost in here:
1. When it sets the clock frequency. If the board stops responding after you set the oscillator or PLL frequencies, then you've set them too fast for the board to support.
2. If the board doesn't make it past the remap command, then either the values in _InitMemory table are wrong, or your .text section is mapped to a different address than you think. To get past the remap command, set a breakpoint at the remapped address of the first instruction after the _InitMemory table (the symbol "10"), then 'go'.

If you get here, and can still single step, then things are good. You're running from Flash and your basic CPU initialization is correct. Now you can connect to the board with GDB/Insight and follow the debug with that.