Problems with application to use lwIP

I'm trying to use lwIP, but I run into problems because lwIP uses
macros, e.g. #define read(a,b,c), which screws things up. I've seen
some posts about people wishing for/thinking about making lwIP more
compatible with a "standard" eCos TCP/IP stack.

Rather than try to adapt the code that is going to use lwIP(it
currently uses eCos FreeBSD + POSIX) or changing lwIP, I was wondering
if I could somehow pull off the following:

- Use the standard include files from eCos instead of lwIP include
files so application continues to compile fine.
- Link w/lwIP only instead of trying to compile with it.

This would require adding a .c file that implemented functions that
used the lwIP include files and exported function calls that were
compatible with lwIP.

Any thoughts on this approach?

lwIP is attractive to us as it is small enough to fit into the fastest
RAM available for our project, we do have enough RAM for FreeBSD, but
it is dog slow as it needs to use DRAM instead of SRAM.

--
Øyvind Harboe
http://www.zylin.com - eCos ARM & FPGA  developer kit